Vohu Manu

Friday, October 27, 2006

 

Little Miss Sunshine

I'll admit it was the Steve Carrell which drew me to this ("Where did you get a hand grenade?" "I don't know!") and the film had a very low Carrell-factor. But that was entirely as it should be being an ensemble film. If anyone stole the show it was Alan Arkin, but he's had years of practise.

The film also had the side effect of exposing people to the word 'dramedy' as I try to explain to them that while the last fifteen minutes had the audience rolling around on the floor laughing the film isn't really a comedy.

But that fifteen minutes, hoo boy.

Comments:
I found this film disappointing. I suppose I succumbed to the overhype of a bazillion "its fantastic". But while there were some good scenes, it was generally a let-down. I didn't like any of the characters (aside from Alan Arkin's; he rocks with whatever material he gets). And the "sneak the body out the hospital" scene was just pathetic and brought the film to a very low level.

If you wanna see a great film that bridges comedy and drama see The Science of Sleep.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007   April 2007   May 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?